Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Stumbled across 2 Letterboxes today this is my first experience with them (spoilers!!)


Today while I was babysitting my exes son he was hot and tired so we went to a creak nearby so he could splash himself with water. I happened to notice on the top of the bridge something I never saw before the date 1904.
We had to find a way down the old bridge to get to the water and I wouldn't cross the old boards for fear of us slipping between the cracks and falling into the water below. He being much braver then I found us a way to hop down boulders and get to the water.
As we were leaving I climbed to the top and bent down to help pull him up and saw something stuck inside one of the old rotted railroad ties. At first I was leery about pulling it out I thought it might be a package of drugs or something. Curiosity got the best of me and I took it out and saw written on the front that it is a letterbox and a website address to atlasquest. The little stamp that went to it had a railroad design. Such a cute idea. I didn't have my own stamp but I signed my name and the date.


I went home and looked up the website and signed up. I commented how I had stumbled upon it by accident and it let me to join the site and start a new hobby.
When I found this letterbox it reminded me of something my niece had told me a few weeks ago. She told me that her girl scout troop hid something under a rock downtown that is dedicated to the boy scouts. She showed me where it was but said it wasn't there anymore. So the kids and I stopped down today and searched around and found what she was talking about. When they hid it they must have just put it in a ziplock bag and slid it under a crack in the rock. Someone else probably moved it and put it in the tupperware container that we found it in. It was a good idea they did that. It had a rock over it but was easily noticeable so I piled some rocks around it more when we left after I signed it.

I went home and looked on the atlasquest and couldn't find this letterbox listed. I did a quick search and found another site letterboxing but its not listed on that one either. I am baffled. My kids want to start letterboxing now as well as geocaching but we all agree the geocaching is more fun.
Here's a video of my daughter finding her first letterbox:


I originally wrote this post on personapaper.com on May 5, 2015. The site is shutting down and I never earned any payment. I have transferred this post here on this awesome new blog site and deleted the article on personapaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment