Saturday, March 5, 2016

No geocache finds today but 4 new letterbox finds (spoilers!!!)


Two days ago I took my son to find his first letterbox which was under a pile of rocks in front of a three trunked tree in a local cemetery. I didn't follow the clues well enough so I was looking around the wrong tree for along time. My son who is 7 suggested that I look around a different tree. When I did that is where we found the letterbox! The stamp was carved like a Broadwinged Hawk .
Yesterday I took my children to find a letterbox at a PA Fish & Boat Commission Access . The clue was to pull down to the sign and to the right is a multi-trunked tree and that's where the letterbox would be. Well there were about 6 signs and a lot of multi-trunked trees. It took us awhile to find it and get it recorded in our logs. The stamp was carved like an Osprey . As we were getting ready to leave my son felt something bite him and started crying because he had a tick stuck to the worst place a boy could get one.


Today I wanted to go geocaching while my kids were at school. It took me awhile to weed through the woods and prickers. I got within 60 feet of the cache called Pride Rock. Under huge rocks were massive piles of poop. I was absolutely astonished. Then I heard some crying animal sounds. I realized I only had an hour and a half to get home to get my kids off the bus and I was lost in the middle of the woods with absolutely no idea what direction to go to get back to my van. I was pretty terrified. First I started walking down and I saw a swamp. I had no cell service at all there so I decided to hike back toward the top of the mountain and the rocks where I had cell service. The higher I climbed the better my service got. I was then able to open google maps and type in the road where my van was parked and find my way through the woods that way. I came out about a half mile down the road from my van. I was so relieved to have gotten out of the woods. I was so scared that while I was lost I was exhausted and thought I would wind up lost for so long they might have to send a search party lol.
Just now I looked up on google animal scat pictures and found that the huge piles of it I saw today were from porcupines . They must have a ton of them living in that area for there to be that much scat! Gross!
After my kids got home from school I took my son, my niece and my daughters friend to go find 3 part letterboxing series. This was such an interesting set. It was all to do with the Starrucca Viaduct theme. It took us 2 hours to find them all. What a feeling of accomplishment when we were done. The kids had a great time helping with the clues and finding the letterboxes. They all can't wait to go again.




I originally wrote this post on personapaper.com on May 20, 2015. The site is shutting down and I never earned any payment. I have transferred this post here on this awesome new blog site and deleted the article on personapaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment