Friday, March 18, 2016

If I stay book by Gayle Forman & movie Review (spoilers)


The 11th book I have read this year was " If I stay " by Gayle Forman. It was 234 pages.
I saw the DVD on the shelf at our local library in the section for new movies they have. Then while looking down the aisles in the junior section I saw the book to it. I grabbed both and decided to read the book first. I am glad that I did because I think the book was slightly better and if I had watched the movie first I wouldn't have been as excited to read the book because I would have already known what happened.
Now the book was copyrighted years before the movie came out which was surprising to me because the movie was so similar to the book that I thought the book had to have been adapted exactly from the movie.
The book starts out with school being cancelled because of the weather. The family of 4 decides to go visit friends. On the way there they get in an accident. The mother and father die and Mia is in a coma and having an out of body experience. Her brother who is 7 and is in critical condition as well dies within a day or so. That part was the saddest in the movie and the book.
Mia's boyfriend Adam is in a band and in college and they struggle to decide what their future will be like with her going to a college soon across the country. They have an absolutely beautiful romantic relationship. She plays the cello and I wonder if the girl who plays Mia in the movie is really that good at the cello in real life or if they had someone else playing it. She makes such a weird face in the movie when she plays that I can't help but laugh.
I struggled with reading this book because the scenes of her in the hospital reminded me so much of when my husband was in the hospital dying.
In the end she is about to give up and let herself die when her boyfriend does something that brings her out of the coma. I believe she is choosing to live but I guess we will have to find out in the next book.


I originally wrote this post on personapaper.com on February 24, 2015. The site is shutting down and I never earned any payment. I have transferred this post here on this awesome new blog site and deleted the article on personapaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment