Thursday, March 10, 2016

Found "Skully 2" today making my geocache total 63 (spoilers!!!)

Last night I didn't get to bed until pretty late and then both kids wound up scared and came into my bed. My bed is very small so I didn't get much sleep. After they went to school I read for a short while and then fell asleep until 11:30 am. When I woke up I saw it was about 70 degrees out and sunny so I decided to take advantage of this nice weather while I still could.
I went looking for a geocache in the Pennsylvania state game lands. I got to within about a mile and a half of it and the cell service went out and so it stopped telling me where to go. I wound up way down an old dirt road about 3 miles past the geocache site. It set me back by about a half an hour. When I realized where I was supposed to pull off the road it showed it was still a walk of about as mile and a half through the woods so I decided to call it quits for that geocache search for the day. I wouldn't have time to trek through the woods that far before my kids got off the bus.
I had about an hour left so at the end of the road I did a search for any other nearby geocaches that would be fairly easy. Right directly in front of me along the river bank about 500 feet from me there was a geocache called Skully 2. I drove down the road and parked in the game lands parking area. I walked a short distance through the woods and got an incredible view of the river.
The location kept bouncing around. I saw an enormous tree with one part looking like the head of a moose hanging over the river bank. I decided to go closer to check this neat tree out. 

I happened to look in the center of the tree and stumbled upon the cache.

My cell phone said I was 60 feet away. I have only used my cell phone one other time to find a geocache since I got this new one. I noticed with other apps that the location with the gps is not very accurate. That is going to make it a lot harder to find geocaches from now. I am not looking to forward to trekking through the woods and the gps being so inaccurate. In the woods the inaccuracy is a huge issue. Within 60 feet things can be hidden virtually anywhere and take hours to find. I am glad I happened to stumble upon this geocache or I could have been looking for along time or had to give up.
The hint on this wouldn't have done me any good to help find it. The hint was something like the cache blends in with its surroundings. That could be anything. Since I had found Skully 1 I remembered that was hidden in the hole of a tree so I thought maybe this one was hidden in a tree as well and guessed correctly. 



I originally wrote this post on personapaper.com on November 4, 2015. The site is shutting down and I never earned any payment. I have transferred this post here on this awesome new blog site and deleted the article on personapaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment