Saturday, March 5, 2016

A long day of geocaching and I only found one more for a total of 9 (spoilers!!!)


Today while my kids were in school I took a ride on my daughters new bike that she and I will be sharing. I haven't ridden a bike in 10 years and I had a bit of a tough time with my balance. I think also the bike is still just very stiff.
I rode about a mile getting on and off the bike dropping things off at peoples houses through town. I continued through town onto the rail trail to finish looking for a geocache that my kids, my niece and I tried to find the other day. I searched again much more thoroughly but there is just no sign of anything but the lid.
While searching the other day my son accidentally dropped and broke a glass bottle he had found while we were walking. I didn't have anything on me to pick it up so today I took an empty container and picked up all the glass and other garbage that I could find in the area and put it in the garbage at a local park.
The bike ride was probably a total of 2 miles but the seat is so hard that my bottom is very sore. I feel so bruised. I will not ride it again until I get a padded seat for it.
I had plenty of time left over before my kids got home so I decided to see what other geocaches were nearby. I found one about 5 miles away that was a two part cache called Starr-Train Cache. I found the dog tag with the coordinates on it nailed to a wooden post along the rail trail. Problem is I couldn't finish this because I don't know how to put in coordinates on the geocaching app to get me to the location I need.

Feeling disappointed and still having an hour and a half left before my children were due home from school I got back in my van and looked to see what other geocaches were nearby. There was one about 9 miles away called The (#1) Topp Cookout. It is in Pennsylvania State Game lands 35This was the hardest hike I have had to do yet. It told me the location of the cache was .89 miles from where I parked so I went up the very steep road and realized that there was still .30 miles to go and I could no longer follow the main path. I had to go east up a mountain, cross a creek and go up two more mountains and head north to the very top. From the van to the cache was about a 45 minute walk all uphill.
My heart was beating so hard and I had run out of water and hadn't had anything to eat in many hours so I was getting dizzy and exhausted. It was about 90 degrees and I was scratched up from prickers and sunburned. Once I was at the top I saw so many places that the cache could be hidden that even with the compass telling me I was within 10 feet it still took me about 10 minutes to locate it. It was hidden under a huge rock and a triangle shaped rock was laid in front of it.
It was an ammo box full of little toys for kids. There was a neat bandanna in it that my son would have loved but I didn't have anything on me to trade it for. I signed the log and headed back down to my van. I messaged my sister and told her that I was in the middle of the woods and wouldn't be home on time to get my kids off the bus so thankfully she was home and got them for me. Once I got back to the main road I ran the entire way down.
I got home about 20 minutes later then my kids got home from school. I quick took a shower to get all the dirt off me. I was itching pretty bad until I showered. I then took my kids to the school for about 20 minutes for them to try out their new bikes.
That isn't the end of my day but this post has gotten long enough and boring so I will end it and just say that I had a good successful day!

I originally wrote this post on personapaper.com on May 11, 2015. The site is shutting down and I never earned any payment. I have transferred this post here on this awesome new blog site and deleted the article on personapaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment