Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Our visit to Nyala Alpaca Farm

On Saturday May 2nd I took my kids to Nyala Alpaca Farm. They were participating in an event called Broome County Farm Trail. We had gone to another event right before this one that lasted longer then I had expected so we arrived at Nyala Alpaca Farm with only about a half hour to go before it was over for the day. Due to that we missed the Alpaca Fiber spinning wheel demonstration and getting to watch them sheer the fur off an alpaca.
They had two alpacas with harnesses on that the kids could lead around with rope. They had little cups of grains and carrots you could buy for 25 cents to feed the animals.


They had two rabbits, a mother goat and her two babies, a black sheep and lots of alpacas.

I don't know much about alpacas but everyone I have ever seen seem to be very friendly and these were no exception!

They had a bake sale and usually I will not buy from bake sales but I figured the money raised would go towards the animals so I let my kids each buy something even though I felt $1 was too expensive for a small brownie that was hard around the edges.
They had a table set up for kids to make wet-felted beads. They also had a large set up of things they made from the alpaca hair. They had amazing things made out of it I was shocked at how detailed the things were. Little pumpkins, a monster, a hot covered with eyes, mermaids etc. My daughter spent $2 on 12 felted beads. I really don't know what she will ever do with them but it was her money so I let her spend it.
Here is a short video of son feeding an alpaca: 



I originally wrote this post on personapaper.com on May 3, 2015. The site is shutting down and I never earned any payment. I have transferred this post here on this awesome new blog site and deleted the article on personapaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment