Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Our visit to the Dutch Hill Creamery and Aukemia-Dairy Farm

On Saturday May 2nd I took the kids to the Dutch Hill Creamery / Aukema-Dairy Farm. They were participating in an event called the Broome County Farm Trail. The gps gave us the wrong directions but thankfully we were only a few minutes later then we had planned and had a wonderful time at the Creamery to make up for it.
Most of the events were free but this one had a $1 charge per person for the tour. You could pet the animals and play in the sandbox and corn table for free. I thought the tour was low cost and would be more of a donation then anything so I didn't mind paying and helping them out since they were kind enough to put on this event.
They sell their own fresh milk, eggs, cheese and yogurt. We got to sample a bunch of varieties of each but we really didn't care for the bold flavors. 

On a display table they sold little cartons of powdered egg nog mix. I thought it would be something neat for my daughter to try. It was quite expensive though at $5. Again its to help a local business thrive so I didn't mind as much as if I went to Walmart and had to pay that price.
The dairy farm tour was done once and hour. Thankfully we got there when we did and only had to wait about 15 minutes. The tour guide is the son of the owner of the farm and works there. He was very friendly and knowledgeable. My son asked lots of questions. 

The one question I asked was why one of the cows had a scar down its right side. He explained that sometimes very rarely after a cow gives birth if she doesn't eat a lot her stomach fills with gas where the calf was and the stomach twists so a veterinarian has to do surgery to fix the stomach.
They had a little petting zoo for the kids and that to me was the best part of the visit. They had a very small pony, rabbit, and goats. The day before a baby goat was born and orphaned at a nearby farm and they are taking care of the goat. My children got to help bottle feed it.

Each child got to take home a pencil, cow eraser and activity book. They were selling shirts for $15 with their logo on them but we didn't purchase any.
I hope that my children retain some of the information they learned on the tour. I know that I learned some new things and really enjoyed my time spent at Dutch Hill Creamery.



I originally wrote this post on personapaper.com on May 3, 2015. The site is shutting down and I never earned any payment. I have transferred this post here on this awesome new blog site and deleted the article on personapaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment