Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Had a scare with my sick daughter this morning


My 10 year old daughter woke up this morning a bit later then usual at 7:30 am. She went down to use the bathroom and then said she had bumps all over her legs that itched really bad. I looked at it and said we would have to go to the doctor because I had no idea what it was. She kept starting to faint every time she stood up so I had her lay down until she felt steady enough to go to the doctor. I looked online trying to figure out what it could be.
The rash was nothing I had ever seen before. Just raised skin colored spots all over her leg and a bit up her side. By 9 am she had some pretty bad looking red hives along her cheek and was extremely itchy. I looked and she had the raised skin colored spots all down her arms legs and stomach and sides. I said we couldn't wait any longer we needed to get her up to the doctor. I quick grabbed the keflex she was prescribed on Tuesday, some benedryl, and a ziplock bag in case she got sick and we rushed up the street to the hospital.
We got checked in and no sooner had she sat down on the exam table she started gasping for air. I was scared to death. I quick poured her some of the benedryl and had her drink it.
The doctor came in and looked her all over. He said that it is an allergic reaction to the keflex. She hadn't had a dose in 12 hours. Thankfully when I saw the hives this morning I didn't give her the medicine in case that was the problem. I'm so scared to think what would have happened if I had given her it this morning.
The doctor wanted to quick give her a shot of prednizone but she started crying she didn't want a shot. So they called the er and ran down and grabbed some liquid prednizone to give her as well as a tablet of hydroxyzine. They kept her an additional 15 minutes to make sure she didn't have a reaction to either of these medications. Within that amount of time her color returned to normal and almost all of the hives went away. I was so relieved. She had me read her baby sitters book to her while we waited the 15 minutes.
We went to the store and filled her prescription for prednizone and hydroxyzine. She requested some flavored sparkling water as a treat so we grabbed that at the store next to the drug store. We are home now and shes relaxing on the couch like she has been the rest of the week and playing on her tablet. Most of the week she was to sick to even do that. I've read her at least 10 chapter books since shes been sick. I love it though. I love spending time with my kids and reading to them.


I originally wrote this post on personapaper.com on January 24, 2015. The site is shutting down and I never earned any payment. I have transferred this post here on this awesome new blog site and deleted the article on personapaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment