Sunday, September 18, 2016

I got my first geocoin and found 6 geocaches (with spoilers!!)



Tuesday September 13, 2016 I set out to finish the geotrail I was following. 



The last place I had to stop to find a geocache to finish the trail was to the Cornell Cooperative Extension Broome County in Dickinson NY. The name of this cache is 4-H Tech Wizards GeoTrail Cache #17



I was so happy to find the last birdhouse and get the last crayon rubbing. I turned my finished log in and got my very first geocoin. After almost 400 miles and 4 days of geocaching I felt very accomplished. Before I left I toured the Cutler Botanic Garden and was so impressed with how much work was put into creating such a pretty place for people to visit for free.


I looked to see what geocaches were nearby and saw one that looked fun. It was called Hey... LEsGo Caching. This one was fairly easy. It said to park at the gas station and so I did and took a little walk until I spotted a lightpost. I lifted up the base and there was the cute little lego figure and the keychain holding the log. 



Another one nearby was called Recycling Guard Dog. I pulled into the wrong parking lot and figured well as long as they don't come yell at me I will just park here and walk up to wherever this cache is. I wandered up the hill and saw the Broome Recycling building. I thought I was going to be greeted by a dog. Well I got a pretty good chuckle when I found this geocache in the guardrail and it had a little dog figurine tied to it. 

I went for the second time in search of a geocache called Not a Walk in the Park (For Cody). I came at a really bad time of year. Thankfully I did not get any ticks on my but the area was so grown up with grasses and thorns that I couldn't get close enough to the cache to even see it. I will have to go back again for this another time as I really want to find it. 



A little over a year ago my children and I went to CMJ Park and tried to find a geocache called What did they build this out of? It was a really neat little place and we searched for so long and finally have to quit. Since I had plenty of time I wanted to go back and find this one. I was there a very long time and another guy came and was trying to find it as well. I decided to finally climb up on the building and look and see if it was behind the bars and there it was. I was so excited to finally find it! This was a really tricky cache. No matter how many times you come to this neat little pagoda there is just something else you spot. Such an interesting place at a really nice park! This is my 100th geocache find!


I needed to get groceries before heading home so I stopped at Walmart just down the street. There was a geocache there called Always #50 Johnson City so of course I had to try to find it. I thought it was under a lightpost like the one I had found earlier but after prying around with a pen trying to get something out from under it I decided to quit. As I turned to go into the store I realized a few feet away was a no parking sign. That is where I found this tiny little nano. I had poked around so long trying to find this that I was sure I had attracted a ton of attention. I skipped signing the log knowing how hard they are to get out and sign and just put it back and marked my find on the app. 



I was really pressed for time but I knew that right across the street was a geocache called THE WALL. I have driven past this building a few times and always wanted to stop and get a better look so this was my chance. I was a bit confused on where the gps on my phone was telling me this was located. I finally decided to check out the guardrail. Once I got down and looked I spotted the tiny magnetic nano immediately. 

This was such a great day of geocaching getting so see all these interesting places. This is truly what makes geocaching exciting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment