Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Geocaching in Lake George NY (with spoilers!!!)

In July my kids and I went to spend a few days of vacation in Lake George NY. While we were there we found 4 really neat geocaches bringing our total to 77.


The first one we looked for was called "Old Glory V". The coordinates led us to the Fort William Henry Museum. The hint said "Cannon Fodder". There were two cannons on either side of the entrance and my son helped me look around for the geocache. We found it in the axle of the cannon wheel. It was fun and easy cache. We did not go through the museum but we did look around for a bit in the gift shop and they had some really neat items.



I had heard excellent things about Golden Corral so we chose to eat there for dinner. It was delicious. We got lucky and when we were leaving I did a search to see if there were any geocaches nearby and there was one in the parking lot called "At the End of the Rainbow". The coordinates led us to a light post where we lifted the bottom to find a magnetic key holder. I signed the log and we headed on our way.


My father needed to stop at a nearby store. Again I had to see if there was a geocache nearby. There was one about 400 feet away but it was across a very busy intersection so my father insisted on driving us across and parking near it. This one had an unusual name and story behind it. It was called "Seriously...Too" Even strange was the hint "EGG". We looked around expecting to find something egg shaped or anything related to that. I thought it would be on a sign but there was no sign of it there. I have found quite a few guard rail hides and decided to check this guard rail out. Sure enough there it was. The cache was another magnetic key holder that had a big squishy black bug stuck on top. We all got a good laugh at this one. 


The last geocache we had time to look for while we were in the area was called "A Bridge for Bill" This geocache was created for a guy who is NOT a fan of bridges. Well to get to the cache which is just off the Prospect Mtn. trail the fastest and easiest way is to go across a long pedestrian bridge over the highway.



 I was absolutely terrified. My son ran and danced across it and I was shaking and sick to my stomach. The hint was "I plead the fifth". 



My dad figured out the hint really fast and I was so excited as this was his very first geocaching find. I think he enjoyed geocaching. 



No comments:

Post a Comment