Monday, September 19, 2016

Finding some new geocaches in an attempt to get a FTF (with spoilers)



Two women in town have created a bunch of geocaches. I have never had a FTF as I do not have the upgraded membership so I am not alerted to new caches in the area. They told me the caches they hid were active so I went to look on the morning of September 17, 2016.



I decided to look for start with Life is Grand. I drove to the wrong cemetery at first and then had to head down the street. I headed to GZ and looked around for a very long time but could not find this geocache anywhere. My cell phone had really a really bad gps signal this weekend so the closest accuracy I could get was 200 feet. I looked around in pretty much every tree near GZ and finally found it. I was so excited to get my first FTF!

As I was logging my find on the app and leaving a truck pulled up and two guys and three dogs came into the cemetery. This was TundraWolf and MrMacMan2u and their dogs Luna, Jewel and Meeka. The dogs were so sweet and friendly. I got some really good advice on handheld gps's. They looked for the cache and it was not where it was supposed to be. I pointed them in the correct direction and they found it about 80 feet from where the coordinates said on the app.



The second cache I went to find was The Sign of the Cross. This cache got its name because on the satellite image the huge trees along the path in the cemetery look like they form a cross. This cache was much easier to find. It was a coppenhagen can covered with camo tape. It was slid under a monument. I ran into TundraWolf and MrMacMan2u again here and we discovered this cache together. It was at that point I noticed his truck had a huge sticker on the window of a travel bug. When I remarked about it they told me it is a real travel bug that I can log. I thought that was probably one of the coolest ideas I had heard!



The third cache was Susquehanna Bridge Part 2. When I arrived I saw another geocacher Jon884 there trying to find it. He said he had been looking for a half hour and could not find it anywhere. Together he and I looked for a half hour and finally had to give up. I texted the girl who created this one asking for another hint. She told me that it had been moved and the coordinates were being updated. So while this should have been a quick cache and dash it had me and this other guy crawling around on the bridge looking everywhere for it. It was pretty humorous really. I went home and waited to hear back from her and the guy went to eat lunch at a local cafe. She told me that it was moved to the other side of the bridge near a flag. I knew exactly where that was. I messaged the geocacher and told him about it and headed to town. I went to the guardrail and there it was a magnet key holder with a log in it. Boy was I happy to find that and be done. It was in a pretty little spot where they moved it to.

This was a pretty cool thing that I got to meet three different geocachers today. TundraWolf has 13,696 geocache finds and over 900 are FTFs, MrMacman2uhas 950 finds and Jon884 has 3,658 finds. I am at a measly 115 finds.



My man and I went to Subway to eat and since it was nice out I wanted to sit outside and eat. We drove to a park where I could find a geocache called The Secret Park (Tribute) when I was done. I did not realize that I was at the wrong park though. The closest I could get to the cache was 80 feet and I had already crossed a creek and could not make a path through the bamboo. My boyfriend suggested driving down the road and seeing what was on the other side. As we were driving I looked at the description again and realized that there was another park down what looked like just someones driveway.

My cells gps was still barely picking up a signal. I followed the path down through the woods. I got to 45 feet and the accuracy was 145 feet so I gave up and turned to leave. As I did I just happened to look at the fallen tree limb behind me. I peeked over it and saw a smooth round spot and said huh that's neat a smooth spot. Then I did a double take and realized it was the cache. I could not believe I found it. This was such a clever hide.

No comments:

Post a Comment