Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Day 3 on the 4-H Tech Wizards GeoTrail (with spoilers!!!)


Friday September 9th I set out to check off more caches on the Geotrail I was following. 



My first stop of the day was to find 4-H Tech Wizards Geo-Trail Cache #3. The geocache was not active yet but it was set up so we knew what the coordinates were and could go do the crayon rubbing and sign the log. This cache was located at the Binghamton Vistors Center / Roberson Museum in the city of Binghamton. I thought this would be a quick stop but I was so close to the river I had to check out underneath the Memorial Bridge. The view is quite beautiful. While it is awful to ruin things I do enjoy looking at all the graffiti. 



My second geocache was 4-H Tech Wizards Geo-Trail Cache #13. This was located at the Finch Hollow Nature Center in Union NY. I had always wanted to come here and hike the trail so this was the perfect day to do it. While I was there I also found an older geocache that was hidden on the trail. It was called "Billy Goats Gruff" so when I got within 40 feet I had a pretty good idea where to look.... under the bridge... bingo! Lots of great goodies inside the ammo can for kids!



My fourth geocache was 4-H Tech Wizards Geo-Trail Cache #14. It was located at Sugar Creek Maple Farm in Vestal NY



My fifth geocache was 4-H Tech Wizards Geo-Trail Cache #16. It was located at Shelldon's Produce in Triangle NY. It was probably the smallest little shop I visited on the whole trail. It was so cute. 



My sixth geocache was 4-H Tech Wizards Geo-Trail Cache #7. It was located at Light House Landing in Lisle NY. Looking around it looks like a really fun place to camp. 

My seventh geocache was 4-H Tech Wizards Geo-Trail Cache #10. It was located at Jada Hill Farm in Sanford NY. I had always wanted to visit here as they have fun family events sometimes throughout the fall. The woman who owns it came out to greet me and we talked for a bit about the trail and geocaching in general. She told me that when the cache was brand new she put some of her homemade goats milk soap in the cache. I wish I had been the first to find on that one! She was very nice I enjoyed stopping there. 



My final geocache of the day was not part of the trail but I passed Tuscarora Scout Reservation on the way to previous cache so I wanted to make a quick stop. This cache is called Baden-Powell Cache, Treasures : Cache to Cub Scouts. I had come here with my children in the summer and the woman who runs security obviously did not want us there. My cell phone wouldn't get me any closer to the cache then 90 feet and with her standing there watching us I felt to uncomfortable climbing the rocks to use the hint "Climb the Steps To Tuscarora with not reservation". I knew the camp closed the third week of August so this was the perfect time for me to stop. 



This time I climbed the steps and sure enough there was a hole in the top where the cache was hidden. I found a trackable inside called Hoover the Hummingbird (AKA Flitter by my 5 yr old Travel Tag

After tallying it all up I had found 8 geocaches in one day. I am pretty sure that is a new record for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment