Friday, February 26, 2016

Smiles4Keeps Dentistry complaint

At the end of 2015 my son went for a cleaning at our regular dentist office. We found out that my son has 4 cavities. They are in between his molars on top and bottom on the right hand side of his mouth. Unfortunately at this office they can only fix one cavity at a time. They gave me the option of going to somewhere else that could fill them all at once.

I asked around and was told that Smiles4Keeps in Scranton PA is a pediatric dentist will do them all at once.

I waited along time for the xrays from our dentist to send them to me. When they came they were terrible photocopies. When we went to our first appointment at Smiles4Keeps on January 15, 2016. They didn't think the xrays were good enough so took some of their own and set us up with an appointment to come back another day.

Today was the day. I was up all night worrying. I got my daughter off to school and got my son breakfast and dramamine so he wouldn't get car sick. He had to fast for 4 hours so nothing after 8am. He was very hungry by the time we arrived at noon for our appointment.

A girl took us back to the consultation room and told my son she would take him to drink a sedative. He asked me to go with him. I told her that he wanted me to go with them. She said that I could do this but when the time came in an hour for his dental work to be done I would not be allowed to be back in the room with him. I asked him if he could be brave and go with her and get it all done. He wouldn't and I could not see making him do something that will traumatize him so we left.

My son has terrible anxiety since his father died. He has been in an out of therapy for years. He follows me from room to room around the house. He does not feel safe being away from me. Taking him back to get a shot in his gums and having a cavity drilled would be absolutely terrifying for him.

I cannot understand what the reasons would be to not allow parents in the room to comfort the children. The girl told me why the parents aren't allowed with the patients but she didn't speak English well at all so even after I asked her to repeat herself I still could not understand.

Now I have to find another pediatric dentist to take him to who will probably also want to take their own xrays. I do not want him having any more taken. This was two wasted trips of an hour drive one way as well as two days missed of school.


No comments:

Post a Comment