Monday, February 22, 2016

I tried geocaching for the first time and failed miserably

I have recently decided that a fun hobby for my kids and I to do would be geocaching. I tried out a few free apps but one would not work with my phone and the other isn't good enough to find things. While my kids and I were out yesterday I downloaded the geocaching app by groundspeak for $9.99.
The kids and I were really excited to try this so we searched for nearby caches. The closest one was right in the walmart plaza that we were in.
I could not understand the compass so my daughter just walked around until the amount of feet lowered and then we knew we were close. It said 0 feet and we still could not find it. We searched for along time. I gave up before my kids did.
I was so disappointed and so were the kids. We left and I was in tears on the way home getting their hopes up like that and then failing so badly.
After I got the kids to bed I tried looking up some information on how to do it and some of the terms used. I realized that even though the cache was close that is not the one we should have tried to find the first time. It was an extremely difficult one.
The kids asked me to try again since they got up. Its 10:30 am and I finally am having my coffee after doing the dishes and laundry. We are going to head out locally and try to find some of the easier ones. There are a lot in the area. It's going to be a beautiful day so wish us luck!
I added a picture of a screen shot I took of what the compass looks like. I am so confused I don't know how to read the compass if I am the white or the orange direction.


I originally wrote this post on personapaper.com on May 3, 2015. The site is shutting down and I never earned any payment. I am transferring some of my posts here on this awesome new blog site and deleting the articles on personapaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment