Thursday, October 20, 2016

3 more geocaches found bringing my total to 155 (with spoilers)



I had been to the Walmart in Vestal NY quite a few times looking of a geocache called Always #55 Vestal. Finally on 10-7-16 I found it!



I looked at this a bunch of times and tried to pull the panel off but the screws made it seem like it was bolted in. The magnets on the back were very strong so it was hard to pull off. I tried harder this time and it fell off. 


I had a dentist appointment on October 12, 2016. When I was done I got some groceries and headed to find a geocache called Rockwell - The Dumps that I had tried to find a year ago. I had the same issue as before that the gps brought me to a place where a local bridge was out. It would not route me around so I parked in a big abandoned parking lot and walked .48 of a mile to the geocache. It was a beautiful day for a walk. 



I got near GZ and saw a water drainage pipe. In the description of this cache it said something about "Tunnel through" so I took it literally and crawled through the tunnel thinking the cache must be hidden somewhere in it. I was wrong it was hidden NEAR the tunnel NOT in it. 



I dropped off a gorgeous geocoin (Fortune Favors the Bold Geocoin) that I had picked up at another cache the previous week.



I put everything away and went to check out the abandoned area nearby. 

I had met a fellow geocacher about a month before who told me of a geocache that he created. He told me how hard it is and gave me a hint. Since he had come to town recently to find some of mine I wanted to stop and try to find this one of his. It was called Coal Miner's Memorial.



When I arrived at GZ I saw I had no cell service and had forgot to set my handheld gps to the coordinates. I looked around and suddenly realized I had locked my keys in my van. I went into the post office to ask if they could look up the number for roadside assistance for me. I went to the local gas station and used their phone to call my sister and tell her that I would be late getting home to get my kids off the bus. 

I waited around for an hour for the tow truck to arrive to unlock my van for me. While I waited I looked in every possible place I could think of for this geocache. I could not find it. Just as the tow truck arrived the owner saw me and stopped to talk. He had to show me where the geocache was. I never would have found it as it was hidden so well. It was a little tube stuck in the ground behind the memorial. 

What a day ha ha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment